Journalistic Quest

Part VI: In which our heroine begins teaching in Federal Way, WA.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

The Velveteen Rabit, past and present


The Velveteen Rabbit, Margery Williams

This book came to mind when I was thinking about wintery stories, but then I questioned whether this was a Christmastime book or a springtime book (as it takes place during both times, correct?). Middle schoolers might scoff at reading a book like this, but I can't even attempt to give an unbiased review because a beloved comparative drama professor read it to a class of college kids and had us all weeping. Thus, I'd say it's appropriate and timeless. (Does anyone else get the covers of this book and of Rabbit Hill mixed up?)



The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, Kate DiCamillo

I didn't want to like this book. I didn't want to find it charming or heartwarming, probably because I was still grouchy and disappointed with DiCamillo's Mercy Watson (more on that later). The illustrations absolutely make this and give the book an antiquey feel, which seems to make it a little more OK that it's cheesy -- kind of in the same way that it's OK for Prairie Home Companion to be a little cheesy.

###

2 Comments:

  • At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not bad article, but I really miss that you didn't express your opinion, but ok you just have different approach

     

Post a Comment

<< Home