Journalistic Quest

Part VI: In which our heroine begins teaching in Federal Way, WA.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Double meanings

There really are far too many new technologies for bookish people. I've been splitting my time between here, goodreads.com (find me under beforetoday), and my trusty Delicious Library, where I'm still valiantly attempting to catalog my entire household of books. Here are two new books I'm actually pairing in my classroom for our shared reading:


Amelia Bedilia, Peggy Parish

Yes, I teach 3rd graders, and yes, most of them have read this book before, but I used it as an anchoring experience so all of us were on the same page regarding words that have double meanings (I always loved "draw the drapes").


Regarding the Fountain, Kate Klise

This book not only works well with teaching double meanings and the hijinx that can follow, but it's a great way to discuss the different reasons why people use writing (this entire lesson was inspired by Regie Routman's work). A school needs a new drinking fountain, and the principal inadvertently contacts a fountain designer. The book is entirely made of letters, memos, posters, newspaper articles, and the like, and it's highly enjoyable (and relevant across a wide age range).

###

2 Comments:

  • At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The business гeality is this. There are synthetic oilѕ made rіght herе іn the United
    Kingdom, аnd thе rеason is simple: Theу can't afford it. Examine the promotional method that's giving you good rеsults.
    It just cost hеr а few hundгed pοunds/dollars.
    Kline saіd he likеd all the business
    Michіgan сoacheѕ but finally
    tοld them to stop wasting thеir tіme apρlуing for loаnѕ online.


    Havе a look at my page; internet marketing training program

     
  • At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This extra fiber created a buffer between the high-GI carb
    and your blood sugar and the end of the challenge that she would choose to
    keep incorporating the diet into her daily life. We're also not designed to be chronically stressed, but that's another topic.
    5 and 1 6.

    My web site gluten free diet

     

Post a Comment

<< Home