Journalistic Quest

Part VI: In which our heroine begins teaching in Federal Way, WA.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Rethinking Pam Munoz Ryan

I know last time I posted about Pam Munoz Ryan I was rather critical, but I have since then been introduced to her fantastic picture books and they made me rethink my first impressions. The art in both of these books is done by Brian Selznick, and it's gorgeous.


When Marian Sang, Pam Munoz Ryan

There is so much to talk about in this book. I used it for a lesson on inferences, but it also works great to show how vocabulary is chosen to develop plot or a certain character.


Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride, Pam Munoz Ryan

I love that many of Munoz Ryan's stories are based on real events. This is the story of Amelia Earhart and Eleanor Roosevelt ditching a fancy dinner party to go on an evening airplane ride through Washington, D.C. The art is fantastic.

###

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home