Journalistic Quest

Part VI: In which our heroine begins teaching in Federal Way, WA.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Alphabet Books for Intermediate Students

I undertook my first alphabet picture book read-aloud this year on a whim. My intent was to keep kids excited about our read-alouds, because I only read two letters each day. They loved it (and learned so much from it), that I tried another, which was met with even more success. Take a look:


The Skull Alphabet, Jerry Pallotta

Pallotta has written about a zillion alphabet books (he even signed a copy of the Spice Alphabet when he came to visit my elementary school!). For this one, he shows 26 different critter skulls. We used this during our unit on the human body. Students have to guess the animals, and the creatures range in difficulty from a dog, to a panda, to a narwhal. Fabulous. Additionally, Pallotta randomly hid busts of the presidents in some of his pictures, so this could be used in an American History class as well. You can see a few pages from the book here.


E is for Evergreen, Marie & Roland Smith

My favorite Michigan publisher is responsible for the enormous series of state alphabet books. If you teach 5th grade (or any other survey course on U.S. history that involves a state study), I would not be exaggerating to say that you need every book in this series. As a 4th grade teacher, I only needed the book for our state, Washington. It's fantastic because it includes all the basic information about the state -- state bird, flower, insect, etc., as well as some famous people and events. Imagine my shock when my kids opened their (terrible, boring) Washington State textbook and began exclaiming that they found a picture of Mother Joseph. What an invaluable resource.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home